All Articles

Tax Filing Assistance for Students

Author: Financial Success | Image: Financial Success

As the end of March draws near, so does the deadline for filing your 2014 income taxes. Luckily for students, there are options available for those who need assistance in filing their taxes.

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $53,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking tax payers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. Free electronic filing (e-filing) of eligible federal and state returns is also available.

Conveniently, Iowa State College of Business offers their own IRS VITA program for students sponsored by the Iowa State University chapter of Beta Alpha Psi, a national honor fraternity for financial information professionals. The VITA program at Iowa State is located in the Gerdin Business Building on campus. The program will be offered beginning Monday, February 17th and will run through Tuesday April 15, excluding this week of spring break.

Available hours and locations are:

Mondays from 6:00 – 8:00 PM, 1127 Gerdin Business Building
Tuesdays from 6:00 – 8:00 PM, 1127 Gerdin Business Building
Wednesdays from 2:00 – 4:00 PM, 1117 Gerdin Business Building

Appointments can be scheduled at There will also be a limited number of walk- in appointments available. Parking will be available at the East Campus Parking Deck and the Memorial Union Parking Ramp.

  • Proof of Identification
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
  • Total paid for day care provider and day care provider’s tax identifying number (an individual’s Social Security number or the business’ Employer Identification Number)

***To file taxes electronically on a married filing jointly tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

For further information, contact Mike Bootsma at (515-294-8337 or